Monday, September 08, 2014

Wing Wah Mooncakes (蓉华月饼) from Hong Kong

It's that time of the year again - the Mid-Autumn Festival aka the Lantern Festival or Mooncake Festival. You may very well be aware of the wide variety of flavours that mooncakes come in.

I've tried a few here and there, but my all time favourite is the original - The White Lotus Seed Paste Mooncake (白莲蓉).

Wing Wah Mooncakes from Hong Kong.
My brother in law brought a few boxes of mooncakes home after a work trip to Hong Kong. I'm very particular with my lotus paste mooncakes, and this one lived up to expectation.

Double Yolk Lotus Seed Paste mooncake.
The thin golden crust hugs the wonderfully rich but not overwhelmingly sweet and smooth lotus paste filling, with a salted duck egg yolk in the centre. I am not a fan of yolks but everyone in the family who loves it tells me that this ranks quite high up on the good yolk list.

Happy Mooncake Festival, everyone!

No comments:

Post a Comment