Wednesday, April 08, 2015

Dutch and Belgian Waffles!

Just returned from a trip to the Netherlands and Belgium this morning. Only managed a collective 2 hours of sleep in the 12.5 hour long flight and am determined to fight the urge to nap because if I do, I'll be a total insomniac tonight!

What can I do to stay awake? Looking at photos and reminiscing fun times from the trip helped, then there were the delicious waffles. Surely, I couldn't just let this one slide from my blog.

The waffle adventures started in Maastricht, NL - the city where the EU was formed. The waffle is clearly taken seriously here because at every corner turned, there's bound to be at least one person with a waffle in hand, happily munching away. It was clearly a sign.
Pinky in Maastricht, NL.
Pinky is the place to go. Hot off the griddle, the waffles smell heavenly. Dusted with icing sugar, chewy to the bite, these babies were simply divine! 2 Euros well spent. My only regret? Not having another one!

Presenting, the simply divine Pinky Waffle.
Not to fret, more waffles to be found in neighbouring Belgium, in Brussels to be exact. Lined with tourists, one is easily sucked into the trap. Luckily, the shop we picked had cleared by the time we headed back.

Waffle Factory in Brussels.
Here, I learnt the difference between the variation in waffles in Belgium:

The Brussels Waffle - rectangular in size, these are light, crisp and airy.

The Liege Waffle - chewy to the bite, these are richer, denser and sweeter than the others.

The Waffine - similar to the Liege except it is round with your choice of filling.

In case you're wondering, there is no such thing as a Belgian waffle in Belgium. Adapted in the US, it is a simplified version of the Brussels Waffle.

The Waffine and the Liege Waffle.
The Liege (2.5 Euros) is similar to the Pinky Waffle, just too good to be true. My Maastricht regret lifted!

The Waffine (3.5 Euros) is slightly less dense and chewy then the Liege, but the highlight has got to be the Belgian chocolate oozing out and onto my welcoming taste buds. It was truly a party in my mouth.

I suppose they were on the slightly pricier end, but again money well spent.

Left - right: The Liege Waffle and the Brussels Waffle.
Finally, the Brussels Waffle. Indeed, they're much lighter and crisper than the others. Personally, not my preference.

My taste buds have been spoilt. I will no longer look at waffles outside of Netherlands and Belgium the same way ever again. 

On the plus side, I'm wide awake now! May - 1, Jetlag - 0.

No comments:

Post a Comment