Tuesday, August 26, 2014

SS2 Murni @ Petaling Jaya

The honorary first post has got to go to one of the most happening mamak restaurants in PJ. Having frequented this part of the Klang Valley almost all my life, it’s a wonder how I’ve managed to let it slip from my food radar. Having to come up with a food tour itinerary for a friend visiting from the Lion City and having read about it in the Jetstar inflight magazine a couple weeks back, what better time to give the infamous SS2 Murni a try than now!

I’ve heard of the horribly long queues for tables here so I was pleasantly surprised to be able to easily get a table. 8:30pm is a good time to be there I suppose! The following surprise was the menu. It was the first mamak I’d been to with a proper menu and it had such a wide selection of rotis and noodles one could not begin to imagine eg. roti Hawaii, roti scramble, mee goreng and nasi goreng with chicken chop, lamb chop, and even steak! This is fusion taken to a whole new level.

The waiter seemed nonchalant, smoking his cigarette as he took our orders, not putting it down on pen and paper. So, I was impressed when the food and drinks came less than five minutes later.
Mango Special and Milo Dinosaur
Nasi Lemak Discovery and Mee Raja Special
The portions here are HUGE! Almost American-size. The Mee Raja Special (Sambal) is a sizeable plate of noodles with seafood and vegetables. You can ask for extra sambal belacan if you find yourself in need of more of a kick to the tastebuds.

The Nasi Lemak Discovery comes with the usual roasted peanuts, cucumber slices, steamed coconut rice, hard boiled egg, a deliciously grilled whole chicken thigh, and prawn and cuttlefish sambal.

Roti Hawaii - murtabak with a twist.
Roti Hawaii is murtabak with an American twist - drizzled liberally with mayonnaise with fillings of minced chicken and sausage slices. 

Verdict: The food was okay. Not sure what the fuss is about! Perhaps there are other dishes I've yet to discover?

Where:
53, Jalan SS2/75, SS2
47300 Petaling Jaya,
Selangor.

When:
8am - 5am (Closed on Mondays)


2 comments:

  1. I remember Murni and used to go there quite often to get my after-school fix! That was many, many moons ago. I'm glad to see they are still operating and that they seem to have improved their presentation.

    I used to like their mixed rice dishes selection at lunch time.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow! Didn't realise it'd been around for so many years! Presentation may look good but the surroundings may have deteriorated, with the clogged drains, rats and all!

    Alright, perhaps I'll try their mixed rice dishes next time.

    ReplyDelete